One thing has become clear by this weekend, my replacement parts
requests to Elecraft apparently are not legit as far as Elecraft is
concerned. Elecraft Tech support has been stellar thus far, but I
am disappointed that no one from their "parts support" area bothered to
reply to my requests and tell me I was on my own for replacement parts
at this stage. Keep in mind this is an old kit I am building.
Elecraft will supply parts to new kit buyers that find parts missing
after inventorying the kit upon receipt. In my case, this kit has
been lying around for years, and has been half built for 14 months.
But, I am being ignored by the Elecraft parts people. Getting a
'no' answer is perfectly ok, but not getting any answer at all is bad
form. Having to buy these misc. missing or broken parts myself is
no big deal. Being able to buy them from Elecraft guarantees that
I get the correct replacement parts. This
has not been a problem except for the toroid core I broke earlier.
I can't find the core in the Mauser catalog to save my kit. So, I
sent an email to Mauser asking for assistance. If not, there is
another supplier I found on-line (Ken's Electronics) which sells the
core, but they require a minimum order and all that. Let's see
what Mausers has to say first.
On with the kit... I installed the crystals and grounded the cans per
instructions. I used a pair of fine wire cutters to hold the wire
in place while I soldered it to the top of the can. Then I soldered the
ground wire to the PCB pad. This worked fine. For the five
crystals that required grounding to the side of the can, I soldered
these ground wires to the PCB first, then pressed the wire to the side
of the can, soldering it. The instructions caution that the cans
are very sensitive to heat. I did the best I could to solder
quickly. We will soon know if I was successful or not.
Here are three pics of the installed crystals.